1) Exer-Genie - this is a great compact little gadget which let's you have a full body workout wherever you are. More importantly though, in terms of swimming, it is very useful for practicing your high elbow catch (early vertical forearm) without the hassle of worrying about other aspects of your stroke. It works in a similar way like stretch cords, with the difference that you can maintain a constant tension and you can practice the actual freestyle stroke pattern one arm at a time. In my opinion, every serious swimmer or a triathlete should have one of these and incorporate them into their workouts and off-season training. Exer-Genie falls into the very practical and useful category as far as gifts go.
2) ShinFin Leg fins - these fins have been on the market for a while and I have mentioned them before in one of my Christmas swimming gadget ideas posts, but they don't get the press they should, so here I go again, trying to make a case. If you struggle with learning the proper flutter (freestyle) kicking technique, by wearing these fins, I guarantee you that you will grasp the concept and change your technique in just a few sessions. I've used them on many occasion with beginner swimmers and the results were just astonishing. After one or two lessons, the kicking propulsion improved drastically and most of them are able to kick out of the hip rather than the knee. I just love it when products just work :). With this gift, you are definitely going to relieve some frustration and stress for the person who will use them.
3) Corsuit - having a strong core is a must for a successful swimming advancement. Why not have a little help with this swim gear. The Corsuit serves as a sort of a casket for your mid section. It gives you a constant real-time feedback on your body posture in the water and helps you for example maintain a flatter back, so your streamline is as smooth as it can be. Corsuit will be one of those gifts which will cause a bit of a stir as it is quite unique and new on the market.
|keeping the core engaged|
4) Palm Paddles - are probably the world's smallest paddles, but also one of the most useful. Their contour desensitizes your palm, so you do not grab so much water and are more focused on using your forearm, therefore making the front quadrant of your stroke much more effective. Palm Paddles would make a very useful, but also cute little gift :).
|Paddle fits into your palm|
5) Aquaviz mask - this multipurpose prescription lens is so universal, you can use the same lens in your swimming goggles, skiing or snowboarding mask, sunglasses, paintball mask, snowmobile mask etc. etc. You name it and you can use it for it. If you are not into wearing contacts or don't want to buy expensive custom prescription mask/goggles/glasses for every single sports activity you do, Aquaviz is for you. So, go out there and find out the prescription values of your loved one and get them an Aquaviz, so they can see clearly wherever they go.
|The prescription lenses wizard - the Aquaviz|
6) Pebble Smartwatch - with its smart capabilities, you will no longer have to connect your watch to a computer to upload your swim data, it does it by itself through syncing with your Android phone on your way home from the pool. So by the time you get to your cozy destination to sit on the sofa and to check your stats, they are already there. With already ready integration to many exercise platforms such as this Swimming training and workout service from Swim.com, it makes it a perfect gift for any avid swimmer. Modern gift for a modern swimmer.
7) Xmetrics computer - even though this gadget is not on the market yet, you can pre-order it by supporting their crowdfunding campaign. The device has a new take on what a swimming computer should be like. It can provide an audio feedback in real-time. Apart from the usual stats, it can for example tell you how fast your turns are and I am sure that is just the beginning. If you ever wanted to give a cutting edge technology gift, this is it.
8) 360swim SaferSwimmer - I love this product because it has all the things that a good product should have. Good and thoughtful design, it is useful and practical, well priced and it helps people. If the person you are buying a gift for swims in open water (be it a lake, sea, pond), with this gift you show them you care about their safety, but you also are thoughtful enough to get them something that they will actually use. You might just save a life with this gift.
Alright, there you have my list of the gift ideas for your fellow swimmers or triathletes. If you do have some experiences with any of these, please do share them in the comments below, Facebook or on other social channels, so others can also benefit from your experience.
Have a great holiday season, Christmas, birthday or whatever holiday you are going to celebrate. And don't forget, keep on swimming :).